Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Yields: 11⁄2 quarts
• Olive or veg oil 1 to 2 tablespoons
• Onion 1 medium, chopped
• Celery 2 to 3 stalks, with leaves, chopped
• Broccoli 3⁄4 to 1 pound, broken down into florets
• Chicken or veg stock 1 quart
• Dill 1⁄4 cup fresh or 2 teaspoons dry
• Salt 1⁄2 teaspoon
• Black pepper 1⁄4 teaspoon
• Butter 1 tablespoon
• AP flour 1 tablespoon
• Nutmeg 1⁄4 teaspoon
• Whole milk 1 cup, warm
• Cheddar cheese 4 ounces, grated
1. In a medium saucepan, heat oil and sweat onions for a minute or two, then toss in
celery and cook another minute. Add salt and pepper, stir, then put in broccoli
and pour in stock (should just cover all the vegetables) and dill. Bring to a boil,
reduce to simmer, cover and cook on low heat for 40 minutes.
2. In a small saucepan, melt butter and whisk in flour to make a roux. Add nutmeg
and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for a minute while whisking
then gradually whisk in warm milk and cook until cream consistency (a few
minutes). Whisk in grated cheese, stirring until fully incorporated.
3. When broccoli has finished cooking, and cooled down a bit, puree with an
emersion blender (or in a standing blender). Then stir in cheese sauce until
combined. Taste and adjust seasoning.
4. Serve warm with some crusty bread.
1 stick of butter (1/2 cup)
1 bag of marshmallows (10 oz)
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
4 cups Cornflakes
Green food coloring
Red Hot/cinnamon candies for decoration
Melt butter and marshmallows together. When there are no more lumps, bring the heat down to low. Add vanilla and food coloring until it looks wreath-colored! Turn off heat. Mix in the cornflakes. Spoon out circles onto wax paper or parchment paper. Use your fingers to poke a whole in the center of each circle, so it looks more wreath-like! Decorate to taste with the cinnamon cookies.